Friday, March 20, 2009

願生西方淨土
Short Prayer for Rebirth in the Pure Land

I wish to be reborn in the Western Pure Land.
願生西方淨土中

I wish to have as my parents a lotus blossom in nine grades.
九品蓮花為父母

When the blossom opens, I will see the Buddha and realize that dharmas never arise,
花開見佛悟無生

And I will have as my companions the Bodhisattvas who never regress.
不退菩薩為伴侶



淨土文
Long Prayer for Rebirth in the Pure Land

I single-mindedly take refuge in Amitābha Buddha in the World of Ultimate Bliss. Illuminate me with Your pure light and draw me in with Your loving, kind vows! Thinking only of You, I now call the name of the Tathāgatha. For the sake of the Bodhi Way, I supplicate to be reborn in Your Pure Land.
一心皈命極樂世界阿彌陀佛。願以淨光照我、慈誓攝我。我今正念稱如來名,為菩提道求生淨土。

Before this Buddha attained Buddhahood in the past, he made a vow: "Suppose there are sentient beings that desire to be reborn in my land and think in earnest only ten thoughts of belief and delight. If they should fail to be reborn there, I would not attain the perfect enlightenment."
佛昔本誓:若有眾生欲生我國,志心信樂乃至十念,若不生者不取正覺。

Through these causes and conditions for thinking of this Buddha, I have gained entrance into the Tathāgata's ocean of great vows. By virtue of the power of the Buddha's lovingkindness, my sins are expunged and my roots of goodness growing stronger. Upon the ending of my life, I will know the coming of my time. My body will have no illness or suffering. My heart will have no greed or attachments. My mind will not be demented but be peaceful as if in meditative concentration. The Buddha and a multitude of holy beings, holding a golden lotus-borne platform in their hands, will come to receive me. In the instant of one thought, I will be reborn in the Land of Ultimate Bliss. When the lotus blossom opens, I will see the Buddha. I will immediately hear the Buddha Vehicle, and my Buddha wisdom will suddenly unfold. I will widely deliver sentient beings, fulfilling my bodhi vow.
以此念佛因緣,得入如來大誓海中。承佛慈力,眾罪消滅、善根增長。若臨命終,自知時至。身無病苦、心不貪戀、意不顛倒,如入禪定。佛及聖眾手執金臺來迎接我。於一念頃,生極樂國。華開見佛,即聞佛乘、頓開佛慧、廣度眾生滿菩提願。

Homage to all Buddhas of the past, present, and future, in the ten directions!
Homage to all Bodhisattva-Mahāsattvas!
Homage to mahā-prajñā-pāramitā!
十方三世一切佛!一切菩薩摩訶薩!摩訶般若波羅蜜!